Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Entertaining With A Kick of Color!

Summer is here! Okay, at least in my mind it is. School's out, wonderful smells are coming from my herb garden, and flowers are blooming all over the place - showing off glorious pops of color. I just love it!  Entertaining friends and family at home is always a pleasure, especially at summer's leisurely pace. Here's a nice idea for sprucing up the backyard for summer: a bright new piece of furniture!

So I had a bit of a clutter problem on the back patio that always bothered me. I also really needed a solution for serving during those bigger parties. Fixed both problems with one fun DIY project. I can't wait to serve brunch or dinner off my new outdoor buffet! I found a nice old dresser at my local thrift shop. I knew I wanted a bold color, but wasn't sure which one until I saw this fab example at Decorating Insanity
 Isn't it gorgeous? This piece was used as a bathroom vanity. My piece will be used outdoors - as a buffet, potting area, and much needed storage. Buh-bye bubbles, toys, and grill/garden tools. No more cluttering up my outdoors. Now you have a pretty new home!
I love this idea, too! On the look out for either a mirror or dresser shelf for pots. Not sure what I want yet, but I'm sure I will know when I see it!
So this is my "before". Actually, it started out with drawers and handles, too! I was so excited to get started, I forgot to get a picture of it.
First, I sanded the heck out of it.
 Next I painted it with Rust-Oleum's spray paint. The color is called "Eden".
I highly recommend this little gadget for big spray painting projects!
The next step was to take a dark wood stain and wipe on and off. I left mine on a little longer than the example above for a darker and more antiqued look. Then I coated with 2 coats of polyurethane to help it last outdoors. Love the shine it gives, too!
Vwa la! In one day it went from drab to magnificent!  I just love it. Hmmm...what else can I paint?

1 comment: